Yacht Section Easter Cruise

The Yacht Section had a very successful and enjoyable Easter Cruise to Cowes, Lymington & the Hamble. Tides and winds suited us well, and with sunny spells and no rain, conditions were good.

We set off for Cowes at about mid-day on Good Friday, and had a brisk sail close hauled with a few tacks up to Cowes. Shepards Wharf Marina managed to squash in all 18 boats, keeping most of us together. It was a bit of a squeeze requiring some good boat handling to get everyone in and out again, but all skippers showed how well it can be done. We had a pontoon party on the quayside in the evening, and then everyone made their own arrangements for dinner.

On Saturday, we headed off again shortly after noon. We started towards Lymington in a good NW breeze with excellent sailing. A couple of boats stopped off for a late lunch in Newtown Creek. After lunch, the wind got up a bit more and reefs were put in or engines switched on. Berthing on the Dan Bran pontoon in Lymington was well organised, with most boats only rafted two abreast.

In the evening, we dined at Lymington Town Sailing Club where we occupied most of their dining area, with our 40 diners. They fed us well and with drinks before and after the meal it was a most enjoyable evening.

On Sunday, the Easter Bunny delivered Easter eggs to all the boats. We then set off for the Hamble just before midday. With sunny spells and a pleasant NW wind we had a most enjoyable sail in company. Universal Marina had allocated each of us a berth beforehand, so everyone knew where to go, though we were inevitably spread round the marina filling the available berths.

We had an enjoyable walk in the afternoon along the shore, through the Wendlehome Nature Reserve to Holly Hill Woodland Park and round to the back of the marina. For most people this was a first and a discovery.
We decided to have another drinks party in the evening on the shore – and why not! Most people then ate on board, though one couple sampled the Bistro in the marina, and some The Navigator in town.

We left Universal at about nine on Monday morning with a gentle northerly wind. This veered round to NE and picked up to a moderate breeze, which enabled most of us to have a pleasant sail all the way to bar beacon, before motoring up the harbour to our home marinas, where we arrived in plenty of sunshine.

by David & Gill Roberts